The Rotary Youth Speaks Competition is a well-established and successful competition organised and promoted by Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland. It is a four stage competition which is designed to support and encourage the development of effective communication skills.
We organise local heats in Aylesbury -the next competition will be announced here.
This competition aims to offer young people:
- experience in speaking on a public platform as a member of a team
- an incentive to formulate ideas on topical subjects
- discipline in dealing with a topic in a limited time
- the opportunity of learning and practising high standards of expression, presentation and appearance
- impartial feedback and assessment of performance by experienced adjudicators
This competition is open to teams of three students in full time education in two age groups:
- Intermediate 11 to 13 years
- Senior 14 to 17 years
With the age qualifying date of 31 August 2015, it should be noted that some junior entrants may be 11, intermediate entrants 14 and senior entrants 18 at the time of some or all stages of the competitions (e.g. a competitor who is 17 on 31 August but turns 18 on 1 September is allowed to enter).
Students should enter the competition through their school, college or other organisation.
The age group winners are entered into the District competition.
In 2014 – Aylesbury High won the juniors and Cottesloe the seniors.